These vegetarian patties are To Die For! Delicious and easy to make, high in protein and full of healthy, natural ingredients – the perfect veggie burgers that will deceive any meat-lover! You can easily make them vegan if you use some kind of egg substitute like flax seeds.
You can use dried beans if you wish but unfortunately they take a lot of time to prepare. If you are happy to use canned beans always make sure to check that there is nothing else on the ingredients list except beans and water.
There are two ways to make these tasty veggie burgers- gently pan-fried or oven-baked. If you fry them they will be slightly crispier but baking them is actually much easier, less messy and you use less oil.
This is how they look like if they are pan-fried:
And this is how they look if they are oven-baked:
Whichever way you make them, I am sure you will love the tasty combination of beans, parsley and a bit of cumin!
- 2 cans of red kidney beans (2 x 400g cans/ 240g drained)
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- roughly 15g of chopped parsley
- 2 eggs (use an egg substitute to make them vegan)
- 2 tbsp of flour of your choice (+1/2 cup more if you are frying them)
- 4 tbsp olive oil + extra for baking
- Peel and cook the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Drain the beans from the cans and put in a large mixing bowl together with the boiled potatoes.
- With a potato masher or a fork, mash the beans and the potatoes until smooth and well combined.
- Add the chopped onion, parsley, cumin, salt, eggs, flour and 4 tbsp of olive oil to the mixture and stir in well.
- With your hands shape the patties to your desired size.
- 1. Oven-baked method (easier):
- Place all the patties on a greased baking tray or directly over a non-stick baking paper. Spray them all with olive oil sprayer or brush each one with olive oil to ensure they turn out brown and crispy in the oven.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 250ºC (480°F) for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden.
- 2. Pan-fried method:
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Scatter 1/2 cup of flour over a chopping board and roll each of the patties in the flour before placing them in the pan.
- Fry each side of the burgers for about 3 minutes, turning them gently.