I rarely share meat recipes but when I do, it’s always something easy, simple and quite delicious. These clean turkey burgers are one of those recipes that every meat lover will like. They are a high-protein meal and also lower in fat compared to red meat burgers, I hate using the “low-fat” cliché but it’s worth mentioning it for those that are concerned about this (although you probably shouldn’t be).
I strongly recommend you don’t buy any of the pre made supermarket burgers, you really don’t know what type of meat is in there. In most cases they contain the bad quality leftover meat that can’t be sold on its own. Everyone in the UK probably remembers the horse meat scandal a year ago, right? Britain was in shock after a food investigation brought to light that thousands of supermarket beef burgers contain as much as 100% horse meat although there were no mentions of horse meet on the ingredients list. Buy your own organic, free-range or just local high quality minced meat and make your own burgers! To read more about the leanest meat cuts and the benefits of organic meat check out the MEAT guide.
Now, back to these delicious turkey grilled burgers! You really don’t need many ingredients to add some flavour to the burger. You will be surprised but the recipe requires only 3 main ingredients and some spices, it’s quite simple. I use onion and fresh parsley which really create an amazing flavour. If you are wondering about the yogurt sauce, it’s super simple as well and it goes very well with the turkey burgers.
If you wish you can make a bigger batch and freeze some of the burgers, this way on a busy week night you can just pop them out of the freezer and quickly prepare one easy dinner. I cook the burgers on a grill pan but if you prefer you can easily bake them in the oven at 230°C (445 °F) for about half an hour or until ready.
- 500 g turkey mince
- 1/2 onion
- a bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- virgin olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 250 g natural yogurt
- half a bunch of fresh dill (finely chopped)
- crushed 1/2 clove of garlic
- Finely chop the onion and the fresh parsley.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the mince with the onion, parsley and spices. You may find it easier to just use your hands.
- Form the mixture into patties and grease each one with olive oil.
- Cook on a hot grill pan or a BBQ, grill each side for about 2 - 3 mins. Alternatively you can bake them in the oven at 230°C (445 °F) for about half an hour or until golden.