Do you need a recipe for tasty oven-baked vegetarian burgers? These vegetarian potato and feta patties are absolutely delicious and don’t require that many ingredients. They are a regular dinner at our home and they have been a long time favourite of mine!
You can eat them in a bun as a veggie burger or you can simply have them on their own with some salad on the side.
The good thing about them is that you don’t need to boil the potatoes prior to baking them, you just need to grate them to be able to make the patties mixture. I know this recipe from my grandmother and it’s one of my favourite recipes from when I was growing up. This clever woman thought of grating the potatoes instead of boiling them which allows them to become very crispy when they are cooked. It definitely helps if you have some kind of a food processor or a simple automatic grater to do this for you.
To make them golden and crispy you need to make sure they are well coated in olive oil prior to putting them in the oven. I also suggest you don’t make the patties too thick, if you make them about 2 cm (0.7 inch) thick they will be crispier.
A lot of my recipes include Feta and this is because I love cheese and especially Feta. I actually don’t always use Greek Feta but a similar Bulgarian white cheese. White cheese is part of the traditional cuisine for the Balkans region and it is something most of us consume on a daily basis.
Unfortunately the pictures of these oven-baked vegetarian burgers are not great as I took them a long time ago but trust me, they are tastier than they look! I hope you like these simple potato burgers, they are definitely one of my favourite recipes!
- 1 kg potatoes (about 5 - 6 large potatoes)
- 200 g Feta cheese (crumbled)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 small eggs (beaten)
- 5 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp flour of your choice
- salt (at least 1 tbsp)
- Preheat oven to 225 ºC (435 ºF).
- With a food processor or some sort of an automatic grater, grate all of the potatoes.
- They are going to release a lot of water so before moving them into a large mixing bowl, make sure to drain all of the water out of them.
- In the mixing bowl with the potatoes add the olive oil, crumbled feta, oregano and salt and mix them all well. Gradually fold in the eggs and continue to stir. Finally, add the flour and mix it with the rest of ingredients until everything is well combined.
- With your hands form the patties to your desired size.
- Don't worry if the mixture is not sticking together very well, just shape them in a rough round shape and then place them on a greased baking sheet or directly over a non-stick baking paper.
- Try to cover each one with a bit of olive oil as you are shaping them or simply spray over them with an oil sprayer. This will make them very crispy when baked!
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden and crispy!