Sweet red beans recipe with vegetables! I make this recipe at least once every 2 weeks as it is very, very tasty and vegan as well! Even though I am not vegan I always try to have veggie and vegan days if possible for a balanced and more versatile diet.
Using plain dry beans and cooking them from scratch is always a healthier option but this takes time. It’s great if you are happy to do it but if not, use canned beans. Problem is canned beans have a lot of sugar and preservatives added (Heinz especially). Make sure to check the ingredients list on the tin, there should be nothing else but beans and water.
The red kidney beans in combination with the sweetness of the red pepper and the carrots is just lovely. These can easily be made spicy if you are a fan, just by adding some chillies. I am sure you are going to love this recipe, it’s definitely one of my favourite meals and best of all, it’s loaded with protein, potassium, iron and vitamins.
- 800 g red kidney beans (2 tins)
- 200 g chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 1/2 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 50 g parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika (optional)
- virgin olive oil
- Chop all of the fresh vegetables.
- Heat a pan to a low - medium temperature and add the olive oil (a couple of tablespoons to create a thin layer of oil).
- Put the vegetables in the pan and stir for a minute. Put a lid and lower the temperature and led them fry for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the drained tin of tomatoes, salt, paprika, parsley and oregano and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and cook for another couple of minutes, mixing them well with the vegetables sauce.