These delicious, yet sugar and wheat-free brownies have a secret main ingredient which you probably won’t be able to guess! The brownie is very simple to make and tastes absolutely amazing! If you want to give your family a healthier and cleaner treat this weekend and you have 10 minutes to prepare, than look no further!
The secret ingredient of this gluten-free walnut brownie is quinoa! Yep, quinoa flour but the brownies taste nothing like it. They are sweet, chocolatey and full of crunchy walnuts!
I use this organic quinoa flour which I buy from Holland & Barret but you should be able to find other brands online
as well. Quinoa is not just gluten-free, it has many other benefits too – high in protein, fibre, magnesium and other vital minerals. It’s a nutritious ingredient which you would’t normally expect to find in a brownie.
You can use quinoa flour in other baked goods as well however in some instances you may need to use xanthan gum to replace the gluten but in this case you don’t need it.
The brownie takes about 10 minutes to prepare and requires about half an hour baking. You will not be disappointed with the end result, you get to serve delicious, secretly healthy, moist brownies that also have the most amazing crust with melted chocolate chips! Enjoy x
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 100 g butter (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 60 g chopped walnuts
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) milk or milk alternative
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 50 g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- In a bowl whisk all of the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix the melted butter with the milk, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Once your wet ingredients are well combined, add them to the bowl with dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and stir until all of the ingredients are combined and you get a soft mixture.
- Pour it in a greased baking dish and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
The ingredients are for a baking dish with an approx. size of 20 x 13 cm (8 x 5 inch).