If you are a super foodie and you like your green smoothies and goji berries, then you definitely need to try baobab powder. Even if you are not an obsessed kale lover, you still need to consider including the powder of this super fruit in your diet as it is truly incredible and some people might argue that it probably is one of the healthiest fruits on earth.
The powder is made from the flesh of an African fruit called baobab. It is probably the only fruit that actually dries while still on the branch, which allows it to be easily turned into powder after it’s picked. Read below what are the amazing health benefits of the baobab fruit.
Baobab fruit picture by Ton Rulkens.
5 Health benefits of baobab powder
- With the exception of a few rare fruits, baobab is the fruit with the highest levels of Vitamin C in the world. Not just a little bit higher than the more common fruits, unusually high levels! It has ten times more Vitamin C than an orange for an equivalent serving!
- Apparently baobab is not only supercharged with Vitamin C, but it also has the highest antioxidant content of any fruit. Antioxidants are crucial for repairing cell damage and in combination with Vitamin C, they stimulate collagen formation and can have great effects on your skin.
- This citrusy fruit is also 50% fibre. You know how important fibre is for our digestive health and the greatest source of fibre are fruits and vegetables. There are two types of fibre that our body needs and baobab fruits contain an equal amount of both soluble and insoluble fibre, which is pretty amazing.
- Baobab powder also appears to reduce the effects of high glycemic foods like bread. High glycemic foods immediately cause a rapid increase in blood sugar. A study showed that baking baobab powder in white bread can significantly reduce the GI response.
- Finally, baobab powder appears to have great energy-boosting properties. It boosts your iron levels and helps you stay alert, making it a great ingredient for a pre-workout smoothie or a snack.
Adding baobab powder to your recipes
It’s easy to add this magical fruit to your food as you can buy it in the form of powder. Add it to your smoothies, protein energy balls, other snacks and even chocolate treats. You can also add it to some baked goods and as mentioned above, this might be a great way of lowering the GI levels of the food.
The Superfood bakery in London have developed a whole new product range of gluten-free and refined sugar-free mixes which you can easily turn into delicious pancakes and cookies. I was able to try their Energy Booster Pancakes mix, which is made with ingredients like buckwheat flour, brown rice flour and coconut flour, making it naturally gluten-free. In addition, the mix contains the amazing baobab powder, contributing to its energy boosting properties. Add 3 eggs and some almond milk (or other milk) to the mix and the result is these delicious, fluffy wholesome pancakes that smell and taste like cinnamon. Very easy to make and incredibly delicious breakfast, I topped mine with raw cacao, strawberries and honey. Check out the other baking mixes by the Superfood bakery here. Now here is some wholesome pancake and honey foodporn:
As you can see including baobab powder in your diet is easy and the high Vitamin C and antioxidant levels in this fruit can make your meals incredibly healthful. If you want to maintain a good intake of Vitamin C, resulting in beautiful skin and/or if you want to make some energy boosting treats, then you need baobab powder in your life. You can find it in most health stores, but the easiest way to find the best price is online.